|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Temples In Uttarkashi
- Kashi Vishwanath Temple
- Jagannath Bhagwan
- Maa Nagni Devi MAndir
- Kuteti Devi Temple
- Acient Temple Frshuram Ukkak
- Nandiswar Mahadev Mandir
- Vishwanath emple
- Prachin Kacchdu Dev Temple
- Shakti Mandir
- Hantanu Ku Danda Nagraaj
- Hanuman Mandir
- Maa Nagni Devi Tempe
- Jai Guru Chaurangi Nath Temple
- Shri Kandaar Devta Mandir
- Yamunotri Temple
- Vishnu Temple
- Nagaraja Temple
- Pilot Baba Ashram
- Kandhar Devate Temple
- Rajrajeshwari Mandir
Uttarkashi, meaning Kashi of the north, is a town in Uttarakhand, India. It is the district headquarters of Uttarkashi district. Uttarkashi is situated on the banks of river Bhagirathi at an altitude of 1158 m above sea level. Uttarkashi is generally known as a holy town close to Rishikesh. It is located in the state of Uttarakhand in India. Uttarkashi is home to a number of ashrams and temples and also to the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering. The name of the town reflects its similarity to and location (as north of) the city of Kashi (Varanasi). Similar to Varanasi, town of Uttarkashi is situated on the Ganges, lies next to a hill named Varunavat, on confluence of two rivers Varuna and Asi, has a ghat called Manikarnika Ghat and has a temple dedicated to Shiva (Kashi Vishwanath Temple) in the center of the town.
Uttarkashi is located at 30.73°N 78.45°E. It has an average elevation of 1,165 metres (4,436 feet). Most of the terrain is hilly. There are many small and big rivers in Uttarkashi district. The Yamuna and the Ganges (Bhagirathi) are biggest and holiest among them, their origin is Yamunotri and Gangotri (Gomukh) respectively. Asi ganga and jad ganga are some of the tributaries of the Ganges.
Uttarkashi(uki) means the Kashi of North and is also known as Somya Kashi. Uttarkashi is a very religious place for tourism. It has also become famous among adventurous people due to the scope of various adventurous activities. Uttarkashi town is also called as Shivnagri. Uttarkashi town has number of temples and ashrams. Uttarkashi is known for its religious people, weather, education and fashion.
As of 2001 India census, Uttarkashi town had a population of 16,220. Males constitute 57% of the population and females 43%. Uttarkashi has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. Male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 71%. In Uttarkashi, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age. Most citizens of Uttarkashi are Garhwali, with large numbers of Punjabi, Kumaoni and people from other parts of Northern India. It also has a significant population of the Bhotiya Jadh people.
People of Uttarkashi speak Hindi and Garhwali.
After Varunawat Landslide in 2003, the rate of increase in population of the town was affected due to the migration of people to other towns and cities. As the time passed, the town boomed with the development and population growth. But the town was again severely affected by the flood in 2012 and 2013 disaster.This made most of the People to shift to the safer places like Dehradun. Now the town and people are recovering from the continuous pain it had suffered.
This town has many schools, Junior colleges for boys and girls and one degree college affiliated to Garhwal University. The Government Polytechnic Uttarkashi, situated in Joshiyara around 3-4 km away from main city, provides higher education in technology.
There are number of schools in uttarkashi town with good reputation image and education -
1- Him Christian Academy (H.C.A) is a Convent school affiliated to the I.C.S.E Board situated at Matli.
2- Masseeh Dilasa School(M.D.S) is a Convent school affiliated to the I.C.S.E Board situated at Tiloth.
3- Kendriya Vidhyalaya(K.V) Uttarkashi is a higher senior secondary school affiliated to the C.B.S.E situated at Manera.
4- Maharashi Vidhya Mandir(M.V.M) is a higher senior secondary school affiliated to the C.B.S.E situated at Gyansu.
5- Rishiram Shikshan Sansthan(R.R.S.S) is a higher senior secondary school affiliated to the C.B.S.E situated at Manera.
6- Bhagirathi Children Academy (B.C.A) affiliated to the C.B.S.E is situated at Court Road.
7- Alpine Public school (A.P.S) affiliated to the CBSE Board is situated at Barahat.
8- A.S.S.S is affiliated to the C.B.S.E Board situated at N.I.M Road.
9- Gopal Vidya Mandir (G.V.M) is affiliated to the C.B.S.E Board situated at N.I.M Road.
10- Goswami Ganesh Dutt Saraswati Vidhya Mandir Intermediate College (G.G.D.S.V.M.I.C) is affiliated to the Uttarakhand Board situated at Court Road and is known for giving toppers in Uttarakhand Board merit list.
11- Adhya Shankaracharya Shikshan Sansthan Intermediate College (A.S.S.S.D.D.L.T.I.C) is affiliated to the Uttarakhand Board situated at N.I.M Road and is known for giving toppers in Uttarakhand Board merit list.
12- A.S.S.S is affiliated to the Uttarakhand Board situated at N.I.M Road Joshiyara.
13- B.N.K.B.A.S.S.S.I.C is affiliated to the Uttarakhand Board situated at KotBungalow.
14- Gandhi School is affiliated to the Uttarakhand Board situated at Court Road
15- Government Girls Inter College (G.G.I.C) is affiliated to the Uttarakhand Board situated at Court Road.
16- Government kirti Inter College (G.I.C) for Boys is affiliated to the Uttarakhand Board situated at Court Road.
17- Rajiv Mahasay Saraswati Shishu Mandir (R.M.S.S.M) affiliated to Uttarakhand Board situated at Tiloth .
18- Saraswati Vidhya Mandir Intermediate College (S.V.M.I.C) is affiliated to the Uttarakhand Board situated at Jyothipuram Tiloth.
19- Saraswati Vidhya Mandir Intermediate College (S.V.M.I.C) is affiliated to the Uttarakhand Board situated at Laksheshwar.
20- Saraswati Shishu Mandir (S.S.M) is situated at Tiloth.
21- Saraswati Shishu Mandir (S.S.M) situated at Joshiyara.
22- Saraswati Shishu Mandir (S.S.M) situated at Gyansu.
23- SAHARA CHRISTIAN ACADEMY JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL NEAR GUSAIN BHAWAN JOSHIYARA UTTARKASHI
Places of interest
• NIM is one of the few mountaineering institutes in India. It conducts various mountaineering and climbing training courses and besides organising climbing expeditions. Bachendri Pal, India's first woman to climb Mount Everest, is an alumnus of NIM.
• Nanda Devi Institute of Adventure Sports and Outdoor Education (NDI) is the first private mountaineering institute certified by the NIM for training in mountaineering and search and rescue. NDI is located at village Kuflon, 11 kilometers upstream of Uttarkashi on the Sangamchatti road. NDI has another campus at village Lata on the periphery of Nanda Devi National Park in the border district of Chamoli.
• Dodital: One of the popular fresh water lake in Uttarkashi. 21 km trek to Dodital starts from Sangamchatti.
• Kandar Devta Mandir.
• Kashi Vishwanath Temple.
• Ganga Kinare (bank of the Ganges).
• Ujeli (constellation of sages): Ujeli is a neighborhood on the north of the town, where many ashrams are located.
• Tiloth Power Plant: Located in Tiloth village at the fringe of Uttarkashi town; Stage 1 of Maneri Bhali hydroelectric project.
• Maneri Dam: Located at Maneri (15 km from Uttarkashi town); Stage 1 of Maneri Bhali hydroelectric project.
• Bhali Dam: Located in Joshiyara village at the lower fringe of the town. Stage 2 of Maneri Bhali hydroelectric project.
• Nachiketa Tal.
• Kuteti Devi temple: Located on a small hill across Bhagirathi River.
• Gyansu and Palla Gyansu: Old suburbs of Uttarkashi town, located en route to New Tehri.
• Joshiyara: A village across Bhagirathi River. Now becoming a neighborhood. It has a famous temple, Kaleshwar Mandir, dedicated to Lord Shiva.
• Matli: A battalion of Indo-Tibetan Border Police is located here.
• Mahidanda: Another battalion of Indo-Tibetan Border Police is located here.
Adventure sports white water river rafting, Uttarkashi is known for its excellent trekking tracks and mountaineering.